Sunday, June 11, 2006

88: "Perzel Sinking Deeper and Deeper"


Well, now we know why John Perzel chose to go to Florida to attend a director’s meeting of GEO Group, Inc. Perzel, you may recall, absented himself at the end of the session just before the primary. Crucial during that period was the Republican floor uprising which stopped the Democratic/RINO cooperative effort to repackage Act 72 of 2004 in new clothes, thus infuriating a zoot-suit wearing Mike Veon.

It seems that in May, GEO Group, Inc. was the recipient of a $58 million Delaware County contract to continue to run a privately run prison in Delaware County.

Of course, Perzel claims he had no knowledge of the actions taken by the Board of Prison Inspectors.

Here are Perzel’s own words, from his website:

Reporter's [Philadelphia Inquirer] telephone query: -- The contract between Geo Group, Inc., and the Board of Prison Inspectors was renewed this week. Did you have any knowledge of this action? Were you involved in the decision? Could you clarify your responsibilities on the Geo Group, Inc. board of directors.

A -- "This pertains to my private business affairs and not as my function as Speaker. However, let say I had no knowledge of the actions taken by the Board of Prison Inspectors until I read about it in the newspapers today. I had no role in the negotiations or selection process. There has been no communication between me and the operational management of Geo Group, Inc. on this or any subject. There has been no communication between me and the Board of Prison Inspectors on this or any subject. "As to my role on the Board of Directors: As is public knowledge, I serve as a compensated administrative member of the board of directors. My compensation is no different than any other board member. I have no operational role within the corporation. I am not involved in the operations or management of the firm, nor am I privy to any sales, marketing or management decisions. "I serve in an administration function on the Audit Committee, with financial oversight and reporting responsibilities, reporting to the full board. I am not qualified to comment on the operations or management of the corporation. I refer all further questions on this matter to the company's corporate communications department."

Let(‘s) say…? Let’s say…? Mr. Speaker, you must you mean “Let’s pretend…”

In other words, your reply is totally fallacious.

Let’s lay this out in plain English. There is the appearance of graft here, raising the following questions:

· When did Pennsylvania pass legislation authorizing privatization of prisons?
· When was GEO Group, Inc. formed?
· When was John Perzel added to the Board of Directors?
· In what manner did Perzel obtain his stock holdings in GEO Groups, Inc.?
· Does no one understand what 'conflict of interest' means?

GEO Groups, Inc. just announced an agreement with the union representing the personnel who staff their Delaware County Prison, hence the Inquirer’s question. It should be noted that Perzel put this gem out as part of his answer:

"I serve in an administration function on the Audit Committee, with financial oversight and reporting responsibilities, reporting to the full board. I am not qualified to comment on the operations or management of the corporation. I refer all further questions on this matter to the company's corporate communications department."

Gosh, I’m no business major, but ‘financial oversight and reporting responsibilities?” Don’t they require close attention to the “operations” of the corporation?

Perzel has built a record of tripping over his own tongue, which is why he has decided to answer all press questions in writing. In fact, he has, at your expense, hired a $5,000/month PR firm for himself.

Obviously none of his efforts have helped.

I live half a state away, and I can smell it from here. Something's rotten in the 172nd District!

Perzel has to go, and he has to go now.

THE CENTRIST

“Kick the hubris out of Harrisburg!” -- THE CENTRIST

"It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs." -- Albert Einstein

Remember in November! Before you vote,
GettysBLOG!

Copyright © 2006:
THE CENTRIST”. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: