Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rendell cabinet pick seeks alcohol treatment

Three days ago, hardly anyone knew who Sandi Vito was. How quickly things can change in politics.

Vito, awaiting Senate confirmation as Pennsylvania's next Labor Secretary, was charged Wednesday with public drunkenness after an incident at a Harrisburg hotel bar.

The 43-year-old issued a statement Thursday apologizing for the incident, which involved a dispute about whether Vito should take a cab home after she had been drinking at the hotel, according to the Harrisburg Patriot-News.

"I am deeply embarrassed and profoundly humiliated by my actions last night," Vito said. "My behavior was inexcusable. I did not have a car and was intent on walking to my nearby home. In retrospect, I understand that the authorities were merely considering my safety when they insisted I take a cab rather than walk."

The Associated Press reported Friday that Vito is entering an alcohol treatment program. Rendell is sticking by Vito, according to press accounts, but that can change quickly, too.

Vito was appointed by Rendell as Acting Secretary of the Department of Labor & Industry on Feb. 4, 2008. She is awaiting confirmation from the Republican-controlled Senate to run the Labor Department until the end of Rendell's term.

Before going to work at Labor & Industry, Vito served as chief of staff to State Sen. Christine Tartaglione, a Philadelphia Democrat. She previously held the post of political director for the Pennsylvania Democratic Party.

Originally posted at TONY PHYRILLAS