Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pa. Congressmen Still Skeptical of Obama Syria Policy

Here's what two Southeastern Pennsylvania members of Congress had to say about President Obama's muddled Syria policy following Obama's Tuesday address:

From Rep. Joe Pitts, R-16th Dist.:
"While I’ve listened closely to the President and his advisors, I do not support using military action in Syria. Had the President pushed for a vote on authorization this week, I would have voted no. My main concern is that we could make matters worse, potentially harming innocent lives and possibly sparking a regional war. We should certainly be skeptical of the new Russian proposal, but we must investigate all potential diplomatic efforts to eliminate Syrian chemical weapons. We must not forget that the Russians have been blocking efforts in the United Nations and supplying the regime with weapons."

From Rep. Jim Gerlach, R-6th Dist.:
"I am hopeful that the President's pivot to diplomacy will succeed in stopping future chemical weapons attacks in Syria and that our country will not be forced to put the brave men and women of our military in harm's way.  The President’s speech still leaves many questions unanswered about the scope, justification, and necessity for U.S. military involvement in the Syrian conflict.  The President may have called a timeout, but I'm still unconvinced that the Administration has an effective game plan for Syria.  Nothing I heard from the President tonight has changed my opposition to our military involvement in Syria."

No comments: