Thursday, January 07, 2010

Gerlach Drops Out

I was expecting Congressman Jim Gerlach to drop his bid for Pennsylvania governor before the May primary, I just wasn't sure when he would bail out.

Today's announcement that he's dropping out of the race doesn't surprise me at all. I've talked about his odd decision to give up Pennsylvania's 6th Congressional seat for an uphill shot at Pennsylvania governor on various radio shows and at this blog throughout 2009.

Gerlach, who has a long history of public service, including experience in the Pennsylvania Legislature, would have made a good governor.

The problem comes down to money.

The GOP establishment is lining up behind Attorney General Tom Corbett and most of their money is also going to Corbett.

Gerlach acknowledge the money issue in his statement today:
"While we have successfully raised over $1 million, traveled thousands of miles all across this Commonwealth and signed up more than 19,000 supporters eager to help us win, today's media-driven campaigns require four times that amount to wage a successful primary. That left me with two choices: either spend all of my time raising money with little time left for meeting with voters; or withdrawing my candidacy and working even harder to serve the public. I am choosing to serve the public -- many of whom have graciously rewarded me with their support for nearly two decades."
The big question now is whether Gerlach will change his mind about Congress. If he gets back into the race, he's a shoo-in for re-election.

Read Gerlach's full statement here.

Originally posted at TONY PHYRILLAS

No comments: